Spam is a major problem in this world, occupying most email transactions and tormenting many Internet users.
This is the most important step. In many cases you are required to supply an email address to do thing on the Internet. Setting up a spare junk email account, is a good idea. This way you can use this email address when you need to confirm a registration, and not worry about additional crap later.
- Sign up for a free email account
- remember the account name and password as you may need to check it on occasion for email confirmations.
- Use this email address for any site or service that you don't trust
- Remember that most sites offering free services will probably send you spam or sell your address
- When in doubt use your secondary account
- If your email address is shown on any website, a spammer will get you address and spam you to death
- Spammers have scripts, aka bots, that search the entire web for email addresses, and they do it well
- normal: firstname.lastname@example.org
- all text: name (at) address (dot) com
- This is commonly used so spammers have or will figure it out
- Email address in an image file
- Eventually spammers will figure this out so you may have to be creative