Location of hosts file
- Windows 95/98/Me
- Windows NT/2000/XP Pro
- Windows XP Home
Editing the file
You shouldn't need to remove anything from the file so if you don't know what you are doing don't remove or change any of the line. Simply add the new lines below.
- Make sure 127.0.0.1 localhost is the first line on the file.
- Its OK to have blankg lines of commented lines before it. Comments are indicated by a '#'
- Your localhost line maybe more complex, and that's OK, as long as it has 127.0.0.1 and localhost on the same line
- Example: 127.0.0.1 PDP-8.homeland PDP-8 localhost
- You can add any domains you wish to filter by adding a line in the following format. You can add as many lines as you wish
- 127.0.0.1 domain
- Example: 127.0.0.1 ads.spyware.com
Example hosts file
# Local 127.0.0.1 PDP-8.homeland PDP-8 localhost # My filters 127.0.0.1 www.google-analytics.com