- Make a resume
- Finding available job openings
- Negotiating pay
Creating a resume
There are many resources online for resume writing. Make sure it is specific to engineering. You many want to write different resumes for different companies, customizing to the specific opening.
Searching for job openings
The best way to get a job is to have a connection in a department of a company. Ask your friends to ask their bosses if there are any openings in their department.
Go to career fairs. You will get to have actual conversations with people that have some say in hiring or at least getting an interview.
If you are coming out of school, go to career services. Hopefully your engineering department will have its own program. Join the email list for openings. Also get on the department's email list. They may list jobs there as well.
On the main page of almost every company's website is a link for job openings. This is not the best way to get a job, but it's a start. Don't expect a response from the companies, It may take a very long time.
|Embedded systems||Computer Hardware||CPU/DSP/MCU|
- A very, very long list of electronics companies
Other things to do
- Check whether there is anything on the "Jobs" page of the Engineering Wikia.
Study, study, study..... Study the basics of EE, and the basics for field your applying to. Understand completely how things work, and why. Don't worry about equations. Focus more on theory, and actual usage. What will happen to a circuit with a ramp input or step? Drawing waveforms. What are the limits, and non-ideal.
- What to bring to the interview
- Binder, or notebook
- Copies of your resume
- Copies of any significant reports, papers so you can show your work abilities, understanding of your own work, and technical writing skills
Finding what you should be salary.
- This is a basic estimation. It is based on standared parameters. Your real pay will be highly depended on you actual experience, and qualifications. But it does give a pretty good estimation. It requires an email
- This source seems on the higher side
The health care is standard