Tips on selecting a soldering iron thats right for you
- Soldering irons can vary from 10$US to several thousand dollars, but there are basicly four groups:
- Cost varies on how well it can regulate the temperature, and abiltity to set the temperature, and interchange tips.
- Choice in soldering irons depends on you application
- If you plan on soldering soldering wires together, replaring disconected speaker wire, broken plugs or similar than a basic soldering iron is perfect. Soldering guns also work, the heat up much faster, but they are very cumbersome, and often you need three hands as it is. If you are soldering joints that are the close to the size of a marble then a solder gun is recomended. It would take a solder pencil a very long time to do that job
- If you are a beginer electronics hobbiest and work with through hole components such as resistors and capacitors with leads, then a basic solder iron is fine. If you find you are spend a lot of time waiting for the iron to melt joints, you can get a higher wattage iron, but if you solder allot it is recomened you get a soldering station.
- If you are profesional electrision, engineer, or avid electronics hobbiest it better to get a soldering stantion. The solder stations iron can heat up most joins instantly and maintain the heat. With varable heat soldering stations you can solder sensitive components easier. A good soldering station can be purchaced for 100-200$US
- Rework stations cost thousands of dollars and are not for personal use. They often contain a soldering iron, hot air pencil, vacume suction for placing and removing chips, and heated tweesers. These are very helpful in souldering surface mount conponents.
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.