Hi, welcome to Wikihowto. I am a founder and an administrator of this wiki on Wikia.
If you have any questions, please, leave them on my talk page.
About this site: it was launched in January, 2005, based on the idea described here. The idea emerged as a result of not wanting to be exploited by capitalists, and not wanting to be dependent on money. The idea was that if you don't have something you want, then you can come here and learn how to make it. In my case I wanted to automatize production of food to the level that I could have more time for something else. This needed a food factory (and knowledge how to build one)... Craving for procedural knowledge, and having witnessed how Wikipedia from a small projected have turned into a spectacular source of it, I had an idea that perhaps I could use the same way to gain the technical knowledge I needed, and started this project. In addition, knowing that all things are simple in principle and knowing that I don't know how to make many of those in fact simple things was very frustrating. So, the idea was to make it all an interesting reality game of trying to tackle and document how people created advanced technologies beginning from the very scratch. It appeared to me that this could be a very interesting quest (some people suggested that this knowledge could be useful as the DNA of our civilization and the means of recovery after a major global catastrphe), and I think this is why the idea was well accepted, and resulted in this project.
As for the food and people's exploitation concerns, I think they are still relevant, because there are many people in developing countries who work for food they need without realizing, how much work time is actually necessary to produce that food with modern technologies (which is unfair), and it may also be relevant for environmental sustainability.
A kind person from Canada (Canadian IP address) has started an article Guide Plant Breeding Technician IT, which I think is a step to the right direction in addressing the issue.
This site now is a mixture of ideas of many people. You can find a more general story in our public proposal. What is common to all of the initiators of this project is that since the beginning of this project we openly discussed the aspects of extracting, representing and conveying the knowhow to people.
The communicating the procedural knowledge is still far from perfect, and we are still challenged with finding ways how to do it. Ideally, it should enable people to create industry-level high-complexity products starting without any special knowledge.
If you have an idea, how could we do that more effectively, you are welcome to share it in our discussion page.
If you want to contact me personally, you can find my e-mail on my userpage on Wikipedia
Inyuki 14:28, 11 April 2007 (UTC)
Thoughts On Procedural Knowledge Edit
Definition. Procedural knowledge is a representation of the outer world in an intelligent agent, such that the intelligent agent is confident that performing a certain sequence of known actions yiels a known result. This sequence of actions is to be called a procedure, the known result - a product.
Representation means: the influence that the outer world had for the intelligent agent through the physical interactions
Intelligent agent means: an entity capable of learning and perform actions upon its will
Confident means: aware of high probability of success in yielding the result
Known actions means: actions performable by the agent (as methods are performable by an object in OOP)
Known result means: conditions to be met
Note: In our project the agent is usually is another human.
Note Note: This definition is a work in progress.
--Inyuki 21:49, December 17, 2009 (UTC)
- 2012-01-14 I am working on a related project, which I call project X.
- 2010-11-23 I have started a new initiative: http://h0w2.info to create the kind of know-how information source I wished at the beginning of this project.
- 2009-12-17 I am preparing my documents to apply to a graduate school to pursue a degree in mathematics. I think, we don't need to study theory separately, all theory could be learnt and developed as an integral part of solving problems: learning through doing. In this project, we lack quicker ways to upload videos. Also, I think a very important idea is to advertise a good screen recorder, and a good head-mounted camera to encourage people to document work process, and to promote teaching while doing. + Instructions on creating a private wiki to describe what you do as you do it, so that later it would be easier to tranfer it to Wikihowto.
- 2007-10-19 I am continuing to do my mathemtics degree, so I don't have the time necessary to think much about the creation of MediaWiki. Fortunately, Wikihowto is so universal that it can find harmony with anything I do, so recently I started to do some mathematical derivation practise. I think mathematical knowledge might be the most important in any stage of human development (from primitive community to advanced civilisation), so maybe this is what I would like to concentrate in for a longer period of time.
- 2006-04-15 I am back again. The new semester has just started, but because of recent contributions of my Wikihowto friends, especially now ZyMOS, I feel very happy to believe that this project will become the Wikimedia Foundation project. Mr. X, Mr. Y, and Mr. Z, representing impressions on the first page, are perhaps moa3333, ZyMOS and Inyuki. Cheers.
- 2006-01-15 I find the project very useful to myself when I want to explain other people, how to do something. For example, how to post a message to a community blog on LiveJournal. The thing is, you can write tasks on different pages, and so you can make the thing very concise.
- 2006-01-09 I am back in Japan now, and with the new ideas, I am continuing to contribute the project. Thanks to moa3333's contributions, I started thinking again, and this time I think was more succesful. You can read about the project in the discussion page and the idea's page. :)
- 2005-05-07 Still, can't find enough time to bring this exciting project on its self-development. I'm just writing to inform that I'm still here. The summer is comming, and I hope to have more time by then. Cheers! The spring season has come here in Lithuania.
- 2005-04-17 Recently having many tests in university. Today updated the site a little, instead of list of projects made a list of inventions. I expect this will help people be more concentrated on the tools which are essential, rather than the products, as with one tool it is usually possible to manufacture a great number of products...
- 2005-02-23 I am continuing studies, but my computer is offline, and I have not much time for participating due to intensive studies. Now I am collecting the necessary documents for studies in another university (Japan), as I am planning to go back to study in Japan from the September, 2005. I am still trying to find the ways to represent the knowledge, and try to consult with mathematicians to make the best model. So, that is for now.
- 2005-02-02 New semester has begun, so I had to go to Kaunas, and also, as university gave me some tasks, I have less time for How To Engineer It. But I'm planning to get back as soon as I have my PC in Kaunas.